You're correct - 1.8.1 is not related to Git 1.8, however it is the latest
release - and a fix that SUPPORTS Git 1.8 was actually released back in
something like scm-provider 1.5 earlier in the year - only the Maven Release
Plugin DOES NOT USE IT.

We should really have a new release of m-r-p that forces the use of current
scm-providers cause I can see this problem only increasing as more people a)
upgrade git or b) move to git and get pissed off with maven+git

This work around works, but really - goes against convention over configuration.