*Not answering your question* I think we have grown to favour moving away
from APT and towards Markdown or Asciidoc as a format at least on the Maven
team (note that we do not have good tooling for Asciidoc yet) most of our
new documentation is driven through Markdown.

I think there are really two plain text mark up formats left standing:
Markdown and Asciidoc. Of those I think Asciidoc is the better format as it
actually has a proper spec... but it could end up being the Betamax of
formats (i.e. technically the best but looses out due to amount of Markdown
usage out there)