probably a bug in dependency:tree

dependency:list just displays info directly taken from Maven core: you can
trust it

dependency:tree does a lot of logic to track resolution, with different
implementations for Maven 2, 3.0.x and 3.1+: at the moment, I had a lot of
work to be sure that conflicts were well detected, but I never checked scopes
(checking conflicts was already a hard task)

so please open a bug report for dependency:tree/shared/maven-dependency-tree
and we'll need to work back on Maven 3.0.x and 3.1+ implementations

Regards,

Hervé