I understand that. But, shouldn't this be explicitly stated somewhere? Some official guide somewhere essentially saying that if you're planning on releasing your mojo publicly...

to support Maven2 you should be using JDK1.5 or lower (don't actually know if this is correct)
to support Maven3.0 to 3.2 you should be using JDK1.6 or lower
to support Maven3.3+ you should be using JDK1.7 or lower