I personally find this a bit weird, but it's because the JPA
persistence.xml needs to end up in
war!WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/persistence.xml whereas Tomcat will
expect to find context.xml in war!WEB-INF/context.xml. I suppose you
could put it in
src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/persistence.xml but then IDEs
will probably not find it easily/at all.

Glad it works for you.