Putting "provided" scope on a dependency tells Maven that you need the dependency at compile time but do not need it in the jar since you are going to provide the dependency on the classpath yourself.

Very common when you are building a webapp and you have a bunch of jars already loaded into the servlet container (tomcat for example) and you don't need it in every webapp war file as well.

Ron

On 01/09/2015 5:41 PM, Magnanao, Hector wrote:
I found out why my maven jar is much bigger. It looks like it's including a
dependency jar inside the SNAPSHOT jar.  I installed this jar locally so I can
compile but now it's being included in the build itself.  So how do I exclude
it when I do a mvn package ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Tobias Hochgürtel [mailto:tobias.hochguer...@googlemail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 3:35 PM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: maven jar versus ant jar

You can unpack the jar files to see what they include. This should help
you to find out what they makes fat or slimmer as the other one.

HTH
Tobias

Am 01.09.2015 um 22:29 schrieb Magnanao, Hector:
I was finally able to build my snapshot jar using maven after going thru all
the missing dependencies.  But what I noticed is that the maven jar is much
larger than my ant jar.  Can anybody tell me why this is so ?  Should they be
different in sizes after  converting the build to maven ? what should I be
looking for causes of differences  ?

Hector Magnanao Jr.
SCM Analyst

Fieldglass, Inc.
O: (331) 702-6142
M: (773) 474-3051
hector.magna...@sap.com
www.fieldglass.com

Fieldglass is now part of SAP

This email contains confidential information.  If you are not the intended
recipient, do not read, distribute or reproduce this transmission (including
any attachments). If you have received this email in error, please notify the
sender by email reply.

--
Ron Wheeler
President