I was able to manually upload using the following command-line:

 mvn deploy:deploy-file -B -V -s
/path/to/build/dir/maven/settings-unix-buildmachine.xml
 -DrepositoryId=SNAPSHOTS-REPO-ID -Durl=
http://internal.nexus.host.com/nexus/content/repositories/snapshots-repo-being-used
-DgeneratePom=true -DgroupId=COM.GROUP.ID -Dversion=1.2.3.4.5-SNAPSHOT
-DartifactId=ARTIFACT-ID -Dfile=ZIP-FILE.zip -Dpackaging=zip
-Dclassifier=linux

Using mvn-3.0.5  it took just under 19 minutes to upload the zip file.
Using mvn-3.3.3 it took 22 seconds.

So there must be something wrong with the POM file that we are using.  I
will try and narrow it down and see what I can find.