Nice spot, just tried to work that one out myself.

My guess is... the documentation generation plugin has been updated and it
now skips/ignores required properties.

If you compare those two plugins, you can see resources was last published
1.5 years ago;

maven-resources-plugin is 2.7, last updated 2014-09-29
maven-compiler-plugin is 3.5.1, last updated 2016-02-06

If a new resources plugin occurs and it's updated to use new
dependencies/plugins, I would bet it doesn't have the required properties
section.

Anyway, my view would be this is a bug/defect with the documenation plugin
skipping/ignoring required properties. As you have highlighted the compiler
doesn't document it uses of ${project.build.outputDirectory}, and if you
look at latest file you can see more required properties are also not
listed.

https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins/blob/cb254e434a40b7ff58c936abbb3f823029a0e466/maven-compiler-plugin/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugin/compiler/CompilerMojo.java

John