It is a test resource, built from source. I think it's substantively
different from a jpg, because it is derived from the creative work (source
code), and does not itself represent the creative work like a jpg does.
Compiled code does not meet the definition of open source from the Open
Source Initiative (https://opensource.org/osd), and we'd prefer to keep our
source code free from compiled code as much as possible. So, even if it
would be an "acceptable" case, we're trying to find a solution which avoids
that. We were actually doing that until recently, and we're trying to take
positive action to correct it.

In any case, my goal for this thread was to find solutions which allow me
to avoid having the binary in SCM, not to convince myself I don't need to.
:)