I have another update on this...note I can't be 100% sure of my conclusions
as it's somewhat random but here goes.

clean install - succeeds

-PciBuild clean install - fails

-X -PciBuild clean install - succeeds at least some times

However if I remove the aggregate-jar goal from ciBuild profile then it
works.

So what this tells me is that the usage of aggregate-jar goal breaks the
maven-dependency-plugin in the sense that it no longer can know about all
(it does know about some) project artifacts that were previously created by
the reactor build via the maven-assembly-plugin.  I think there are other
triggers of the breakage too but aggregate-jar is the one that I can
identify and is the most repeatable.

Here are the versions I'm using:

maven -> 3.3.9
maven-source-plugin -> 3.0.1
maven-javadoc-plugin -> 2.10.4
maven-assembly-plugin -> 2.6 or 3.0.0
maven-dependency-plugin -> 2.10 or 3.0.0

where ciBuild is defined as adding the following to the top level pom build
configuration:

<plugin>
    <artifactId>maven-source-plugin</artifactId>
    <executions>
        <execution>
            <id>attach-sources</id>
            <goals>
                <goal>jar</goal>
            </goals>
        </execution>
    </executions>
</plugin>
<plugin>
    <executions>
        <execution>
            <id>attach-javadocs</id>
            <phase>package</phase>
            <configuration>
                <javadocVersion>${jdk.version}</javadocVersion>
                <failOnError>false</failOnError>
                <additionalparam>-Xdoclint:none</additionalparam>
            </configuration>
            <goals>
                <goal>jar</goal>
            </goals>
        </execution>
        <execution>
            <id>attach-aggregate-jar</id>
            <phase>package</phase>
            <configuration>
                <javadocVersion>${jdk.version}</javadocVersion>
                <failOnError>false</failOnError>
                <additionalparam>-Xdoclint:none</additionalparam>
            </configuration>
            <goals>
                <goal>aggregate-jar</goal>
            </goals>
        </execution>
    </executions>
</plugin>

This is a major bug that I'm hoping the Maven developers can quickly
resolve.  One expects to be able to combine various normal plugin usages
and not have race conditions but here is a case that causes failures with
no clue to the cause. Since I apparently can't use the aggregate-jar goal
at all in this build is there a different way to get an aggregate javadoc
jar?  If I had a way to collect all the separate javadoc artifacts and put
in zip that would probably suffice for now.

-Dave