Hi Mark,

On 29/06/17 19:50, Mark Raynsford wrote:
On 2017-06-29T19:38:40 +0200
Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarba...@gmx.de> wrote:

HI,

first you are using version ranges...that's the reason for that...

Simple recommendation I can give is:  Don't use version ranges...

Hello.

I maintain ~70 projects with complex interdependencies (this graph
shows a subset of them):

   https://raw.githubusercontent.com/io7m/universe/master/io7m.png

If I don't use version ranges, then when I update one dependency, I get
to update a ton of other packages too. I make frequent releases. Without
version ranges, my day would quickly be consumed by
version-number-incrementing busy work across a large number of packages
instead of getting actual development work done.

I make strong guarantees about API compatibility with my own packages,
including using japicmp to analyze the bytecode to ensure that I follow
semantic versioning correctly. Therefore, I use version ranges, and
have been for years.

Is there something else I could be doing?

Maybe you can do this by using versions-maven-plugin to update deps etc. via CI solution so you don't use versions ranges and prevent the request against your repository manager and have the job done via the computer instead of doing it manually and waisting your time with updating this...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise