If you're planning on using Google to index and search the maven generated
site, you should be using a sitemap.xml for the best performance and most
control. See https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/156184?hl=en for
details.

The robots.txt is honored, but really doesn't provide any control over
indexing. Also if you want to be indexed on a regular schedule you'll need to
register your sitemap.xml with Google using the Webmaster Tools.

Jim Klo
Senior Software Engineer
SRI International
t: @nsomnac