On Sun, 03 Dec 2017 13:40:51 +0100, Ceki Gulcu <c...@qos.ch> wrote:

Hello all,

The logback project, more specifically logback-classic, offers the possibility of configuration via a script written in Groovy. Thus, logback-classic has source files written in Java and a few source files in Groovy.

While attempting to (Jigsaw) modularize the logback project, I first tried to declare "requires static groovy" in logback-classic's module-info.java file but the compiler was unable to load groovy-2.4.13.jar as an auto-module.

To get the ball rolling, I had to resort to the "--add-reads ch.qos.logback.classic=ALL-UNNAMED" compiler directive. This is very unsatisfactory.

On twitter, Cédric Champeau‏ suggested manually editing MANIFEST.MF in groovy-2.4.13.jar adding "Automatic-Module-Name: groovylang". I edited the file and also declared "requires static groovylang" in logback-classic's module-info.java. However, this did not help and I still get "module not found: groovylang"

Building with maven's -X option, I see that groovy-2.4.13.jar ends up on the compiler's class path instead of the module path.

Still on twitter, Robert Scolte responded that m-compiler-p only puts the jars on the module path if they are referred to by a requires statement anywhere in the module descriptors tree. The rest ends up on the classpath.

I am assuming here that "module descriptors tree" refers to module-info.java files and not dependency declarations in pom.xml files. Thus, if I understand correctly m-compiler-p parses module-info.java files before invoking javac. Really?

Yes, really. In fact it goes beyond that. It also parses module-info.class, reads the MANIFEST.MF for Automatic-Module-Name and uses some specific Java9 code to extract the automatic module name from the jarfile.

The code for this can be found at https://github.com/codehaus-plexus/plexus-languages/tree/master/plexus-java

If you want to know the module names per jar, please run (with JAVA_HOME pointing to /path/to/java9): mvn compile org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-dependency-plugin:3.0.2:resolve -DexcludeTransitive

thanks,
Robert

Best regards,

--