In the interest of providing full reference in the list, I have come up with
a workaround to achieve what I want: I list the dependencies in a profile
that is active by default, then use another profile to run generate-sources
with no dependencies active, like follows:

Added in parent-prj/gen-src-prj/pom.xml (and obviously remove existing
dependencies section)

<profiles>
    <profile>
        <id>default</id>
        <activation>
            <activeByDefault>true</activeByDefault>
        </activation>
        <dependencies>
            <dependency>
                <groupId>mygrp</groupId>
                <artifactId>sub-prj</artifactId>
                <version>${project.version}</version>
            </dependency>
        </dependencies>
    </profile>

    <profile>
        <id>excludeDependency</id>
        <dependencies>
        </dependencies>
    </profile>
</profiles>

To generate sources with above, use: mvn -PexcludeDependency
generate-sources

Also filed a bug against the plugin at:
https://github.com/mojohaus/exec-maven-plugin/issues/106

--