Yes, I'm thinking that the current structure probably needs to be
modularised in a more intelligent way. It's not that maven is unhappy,
it's more the eclipse problem of the sourcecode being 'elsewhere'.

we used to have 1 project controlled by ant that build a heap of
artefacts, such as client jar and ejb jar. So I effectively created 2
maven projects that did one thing each, and just said 'my sourcecode
is actually in ..\common\src'. I guess I should get the common project
(or project*s*) to do the compilation, and then do some kind of
jar-ing or UberJaring to build my artefacts.