The difference is that the first invocation is just simply wrong. When you call
a mvn lifecycle phase it will run through all prior phases. If you specify 2
lifecycle phase from the same lifecycle (the default cycle) .. you run through
things twice..

E.g.

mvn install

runs

initialize, .. validate ..  compile, .... install

mvn deploy

runs

initialize, .. validate ..  compile, .... install deploy

So when you use

mvn install deploy

you get

initialize, .. validate ..  compile, .... install .. initialize, .. validate ..
 compile, .... install .. deploy

As you can see you duplicate a whole lot of stuff and that lead to confusing
results and issues.

So .. just do that and learn more about Maven lifecycle phases and such..

Manfred