Hi,

apart from the awkward project setup (moduleC not pointing to the same parent),
it looks like a potential bug to me.
What Maven does is looking for the dependencies of the listed projects.
You're pointing to the root pom, which has only a dependency on junit, not on
any of the multimodule projects.
Next it will look more modules that use any of the listed projects.
ModuleA and ModuleB have a parent pointing to the root.

The missing step seems to be that their dependencies should be respected too.

In general you would use -pl to point to an artifact providing project, not an
aggregator, but it might be useful.
So -pl ModuleA or -pl ModuleB or -pl ModuleC all work as expected.

thanks,
Robert