Hi Nick,

In several companies I have worked for, including the current one, we:

   - used 'update-properties' & 'update-parent' goals only
   - defined a property for each dependency/plugin version in all our poms
   - provided a global enterprise wide 'rules.xml' see [1] & [2]
   - used restrictions for some properties [3] (search for `If you want to
   restrict updates to within a specific range` in the page)

This was always automated in the CI so that we received on our projects a
PR with the required changes to update.

Hope it helps.

Matthieu

[1] :