I had the same issue a while back [1]. We now use use-latest-versions and
no longer use properties for versions most of the time.

Hth,

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/users@maven.apache.org/msg142064.html
Nick Stolwijk

~~~ Try to leave this world a little better than you found it and, when
your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you
have not wasted your time but have done your best ~~~

Lord Baden-Powell