Hi,

On 03.10.20 11:47, Thomas Broyer wrote:
Wait, you mean that you don't even follow your own rules for versions ⁉️
where milestones sit between beta and RC versions.

Can you explain which rules you are referencing?

We are doing that for a very long time... The point not using RC's is
simply we do not see any advantage over a 3.1.2 ?

we usually release a plugin lets say 3.1.0 .. ..

So now someone finds a bug that means we will release 3.1.1 etc. In this
case releasing an RC1 would not help here and would produce a
intermediate release 3.1.1-RC1 ... which in the end finally has no
difference to 3.1.1 ? So no advantage only formal steps (vote's etc.)..

The part M... is from our perspective a milestone in direction to a
particular set of features that has nothing to do with not stable... for
example see https://maven.apache.org/surefire/maven-failsafe-plugin/

I'm for example using maven-release-plugin:3.0.0-M1 in production...
You can take a look into the CI results
(https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-release/job/master/)
or the tests which are running on them:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-release/job/master/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/

The question based on that is comming up:

What do you define as "unstable" ? All of those plugins are already
running very long (I mean very long) in production environments ... so
of course sometimes people find bugs ...

As Enrico alrady mentioned ...we don't release unstable plugins... (but
it drills down to the question: What is a unstable plugin?)

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise