http/2 is not available before Java 8.
ALPN and TLS 1.3 are requirements for h2.

I saw httpClient 5 implemented http/2. That's fine and that's why you may
have successfully connected tomcat with a http/2 client.

Try another application server which does not use httpClient, e.g.
OpenLiberty. You will not be able to have a http/2 server side protocol
support.

I hope this helped for clarification. Thus, I consider my previous mail
*not* nonsense.

If maven didn't use httpClient (which I was not aware of at time of
writing), my statement would have been true: just use Java 9+ and it will
connect via http/2.

I am sorry this caused confusion, but I did not like your response which
did sound "aggressive" to me. I will therefore not contribute to this
project soon.