I'm out of the loop regarding the 3.7.0 release schedule so can't
answer that myself, you'll need to ask the developers mailing list.

The email about maven-wrapper-plugin v3.0.1 is this one from the
developers mailing list
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r7cb5dd04726af22f3c69092a7057e2674383deab09caf3fe80bef98e%40%3Cdev.maven.apache.org%3E

There are a few other emails about maven-wrapper-plugin and was an
issue with v3.0.0 which is why v3.0.1 was released.

I'm 99.999% sure it was only intended to work with v3.7.0 and newer
versions only, so feel free to raise a pr.

John