Well I gave it my best shot

      <plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-remote-resources-plugin</artifactId>
        <executions>
          <execution>
            <id>process-remote-resources</id>
            <goals>
              <goal>process</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
              <resourceBundles>
                <resourceBundle>dbs:commondb:${bully}</resourceBundle>
              </resourceBundles>
              <properties>
                <bully>3</bully>
              </properties>
            </configuration>
          </execution>
        </executions>
      </plugin>

It looks like the process goal has been abandoned and everyone is just
using maven-dependency-plugin's unpack-dependencies goal.