if you're talking about the little subset that we use for our default
packaging bindings [1], as you can see from the page, there is already a
version fixed by the bindings

but:
1. that ties you to a precise Maven version, which is something we want to
avoid
2. it does not work for the many other plugins

that's why any discussion is about making something flexible, and not focusing
only on the few plugins used by default packagings

regards,

Hervé

[1] https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.6.3/maven-core/default-bindings.html