Yes, the release plugin works fine on just one module. That's exactly what
we do, using the --projects (-pl) flag to only build the module(s) we want
to release, in combination with release:prepare release:perform. You could
probably achieve the same thing by running Maven from the submodule
directory but with our build pipelines we find it easier to configure the
flag than the working directory.

Note that you wouldn't want to have any snapshot dependencies, even on the
parent. The parent should be versioned and published as its own artifact.
In our case we don't use an in-repo <parent> for any submodules we intend
to publish on their own; we have a company-wide parent in its own repo and
they inherit directly from that.

I guess I don't see a reason why the parent couldn't be in the same repo,
as long as it's versioned and published on its own in the same way that
everything else is. You'd probably want one root-level pom that declares
all the modules, but you *wouldn't* want to use that pom as the <parent>
for each of the library poms. You'd instead want the parent pom to be just
one of the modules. Otherwise you'd have no way to publish it on its own
because building it would involve building all the declared modules too. I
hope that makes sense (and I hope it's right since we don't actually do it
that way!)