All,

  I'm trying to upgrade the surefire plugin in Apache Tika, and I'm
running into "forked vm terminated without properly saying goodbye"
[0].

  Tika uses a bunch of dependencies we have no control over.  At one
point, we had a parser with a "feature" that called System.exit.  We
have code that defends against this kind of thing by forking and
monitoring the forked process for early termination, and we'd like to
test this forking code.  Is there any way to test this with more
recent versions of the surefire plugin, or is there a recommended
workaround?

  Thank you.

            Best,

                  Tim