Probably you added the XStream dependency because on JDK 16+ Nexus
Staging Maven Plugin does not work anymore without upgrading it (or you
need a lot of add-opens options on the Java command line). I noticed in
my own projects that version 1.4.15 works nicely on JDKs 16 and 17,
while 1.4.18 causes problems. So I had to revert version bumps. Please
let me know if using 1.4.15 fixes your problem. BTW, I did not declare
it as a module dependency but as a plugin dependency only.

--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de