This is also common at my workplace, with the resolution always being to
delete the empty file and try again. We haven't nailed down a
reproducible way to cause it, but it does seem to happen more often when
network conditions are flaky. I agree that deleting the file would be a
user-friendly thing for Maven to do automatically, assuming only one Maven
process is operating on the repository at once (which I think Maven already
assumes).