description from the CVE:
An attacker that is able to modify Velocity templates may execute arbitrary
Java code or run arbitrary system commands with the same privileges as the
account running the Servlet container. This applies to applications that allow
untrusted users to upload/modify velocity templates running Apache Velocity
Engine versions up to 2.2.

In the context of a Maven build, executing arbitrary code does not even
require Velocity...

of course, while doing a release, upgrading Velocity is something to do