Howdy,

Well, sadly I see that svn tag is in place, but the very first observation
I have is that due to ancient parent Apache POM version 10, you use ancient
plugins despite the latest Maven being used. Please try to upgrade parent
to current one (current version is 26).

So in here
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/code/trunk/maven2/pom.xml
make project/parent/version = 26

Parent version 10 you use is from 2011 hence you use plugins that are 11
years old or older, made for Maven2, and I really have no idea what kind of
bug(s) may be hit here...
Note: ASF parent 10 says java level is 1.4... so this may need some
alignment as well... Also, why Java 18? Is it needed or is it just handy?
(I'd go with some LTS rather)

Other than that, given the sporadic nature of the error, I really can't say
more, maybe some misbehaving proxy in between maven process and
repo.apache.org?

HTH
Tamas