We have a bunch of services running Spring Boot 2.3.12, which by default
uses junit-platform 1.6.3 and junit-jupiter 5.6.3.

We are trying to instead use junit-platform 1.8.2 and junit-jupiter 5.8.2.
All the artifacts and versions we need are in junit-bom-5.8.2.

We want to control this in our parent pom(s), as we have dozens of similar
services all using the same parent pom.

I thought I had this working, but now it appears it's not, and I'm not sure
what I'm missing.

At one time I had thought all I had to do was include junit-bom v5.8.2 in
the "dependencies" list in the parent pom, but that never worked.  For lack
of any other solution, I simply pasted the contents of the "dependencies"
list from junit-bom-5.8.2 into the "dependencies" list of my parent pom.
At one point, I thought this was working.

Today, I'm looking at one service that uses that parent pom, but for some
reason it's not getting the newer versions of the artifacts, it's still
getting 1.6.3 and 5.6.3.  I'm looking at both "mvn dependency:tree" and the
"Dependency Hierarchy" view in Eclipse.  I'm not completely certain how to
interpret what I'm seeing.

The first thing I want to know is what is the best way to do this sort of
thing.  I find it hard to believe pasting the entire contents of the bom
that I want into the parent pom was the right way to do it, but I couldn't
get it to work any other way, and now it's not working anyway.

I can provide more details of specific poms and parent poms, but I wanted
to see if there was a simple solution first.

I am basically aware of the difference between "dependencyManagement" and
"dependencies" in a parent pom.