Ok strange problem, using maven site 3.12.0 (also tried 3.6.0)

Project layout is like this

/pom.xml <- root project
/src/site/testfile/file1.json <- the snippet i want
/project1 <- pom project only
/project1/warmodule/pom.xml <- the project i'm generating a site for
/project1/warmodule/src/site.xml <- usually stuff here
/project1/warmodule/src/markdown/index.md <- file with the snippet macro

the snippet macro points to file=../../src/site/testfile/file1.json

if i build maven site from warmodule, the site works as expected, the
contents of file1.json ends up in the snippet

if i build maven site from either project1 or the root, it outputs an error
message: "Error during retrieving content skip as ignoreDownloadError
activated."

I've tried a few different things to resolve this such as
file=${project.basedir}../../src/site/testfile/file1.json
which causes the error message in both scenarios

I've also tried the maven pdf plugin and it also has the same behavior.
This leads me to believe that maybe this is a doxia thing. I did try -X but
there's no warnings or errors reported to console.

Has anyone ran into this before?