Mark, you asked for help here, now I am asking for your help to make
Maven Compiler and Maven Plexus Java better. Can you please switch back
to the too-low memory settings you used before and reproduce the javac
error output when compiled outside Maven? Was it something as simple as:

$ javac -J-Xmx32k org/example/MySecondAnnotation.java
Initial heap size set to a larger value than the maximum heap size

This would be silently swallowed even after my fix, because my fix was
about stack trace parsing. It is, however, much more difficult to
separate other JVM or javac error output from output possibly produced
by e.g. annotation processors. It does not get easier, given the fact,
that JVM output is localised to a handful of languages, not just
English.

Or did you get some kind of out of memory error with a stack trace? The
error parser for forked javac undoubtedly needs more hardening and
improvements to at least parse (and display!) the most common error
messages correctly. I scratched my own itch lately by contributing an
improvement for the first time. Before I forget about the source code
context again and move on to other projects, maybe I can contribute a
little bit more. But then, I need input.

Thanks in advance and kind regards
--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de