Neither in [1] nor in [2] I can find a way to completely disregard or override
a site.xml from the parent POM. I want to inherit a lot from a specific parent
POM, such as dependency management and properties, but not the site.xml. Is
there a way to do that?

E.g., [2] seems to imply that if I define my own breadcrumbs, they override the
parent's ones, but that is not true. I also cannot eliminate the bannerLeft
from the parent, only override it. But I do not want any banner at all. Sorry
for asking a maybe simple-minded question like this, but for the life of me, I
cannot find the solution using web search, documentation or trial & error.

[1]
https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/examples/sitedescriptor.html
[2] https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/examples/multimodule.html

--