Mon, 5 Feb 2024, /sebb/:

Under Windows,
mvn test -Dtest=org.apache.commons.compress.harmony.unpack200.tests.ArchiveTest
fails with
Unknown lifecycle phase
".apache.commons.compress.harmony.pack2000.tests.ArchiveTest".
but the following works:
mvn test
-Dtest="org.apache.commons.compress.harmony.unpack200.tests.ArchiveTest"
I think this shows that '.' *is* treated as a separator on Windows.

All right. What you describe appears happening using PowerShell vs. the standard Command Prompt. Using Command Prompt the former works just fine, and the later fails:

=org.apache.commons.compress.harmony.unpack200.tests.ArchiveTest"" was unexpected at this time.

I don't use (never liked) PowerShell and I'm not aware of its parsing rules.

--
Stanimir