Hi Joseph,

+. 8

Xalan-J's next release should be Maven-based. But we wanted to put out one Java
8-compatible-but-deprecated build before moving to Java 17.

I guess you're mixing a few things here:
Maven 3 (or 4, doesn't matter) needing Java >= version X only means that
you need that version X to *execute* Maven itself. Projects that you
*build* with Maven can for sure be compiled for other and/or older Java
versions (*); this is up to the compiler plugin and its configuration.

(*) As long as the JDK you're using supports that. Java 17 for example
dropped support in javac for Java 6, and since Java 20 javac only
compiles for Java >=8.

Regards

Thorsten