Are you sure jdk21 is default on codespaces? An hour ago i cloned a java
repository only to find that codespaces comes with 11 by default. Whats
your output of java -version?

Regardless, you can download your needed jdk from adoptium, and setup both
$PATH and $JAVA_HOME to point to the downloaded jdk just as you would on
normal machine.