Hello!

I've been using the maven-checkstyle-plugin for many years now. Almost
all of my projects are heavily multi-module, and I have a fairly
traditional setup where a checkstyle plugin execution is defined in
my organization-wide POM, and inherited by all modules in all projects.
I run checkstyle in the process-sources phase and refuse to build
code if there are style errors:

https://github.com/io7m/primogenitor/blob/develop/pom.xml#L503

This works well enough in the sense that I don't have to repeat any
configuration information, and I can opt-out of checking on a per-module
basis if necessary by setting checkstyle.skip in the module's properties.

Where it _doesn't_ work well enough is that I really want to, for a
given project, get all style errors in all modules before anything else
in the build proceeds. I have projects where style checks succeed in
module A, and then module B takes a minute or so to build, and then a
style check fails in module C. I'd prefer to style check modules A, B,
and C ahead of time so that I don't have to sit through a time-consuming
build of B just to have C fail.

There doesn't seem to be a nice way to configure this. Ideally I would
want checkstyle to check all sources matching a given pattern
("*/src/main/java/**.java", probably). Even if I _could_ get the plugin
to do this, it's not clear how I would preserve the ability to opt-out
of checking on a per-module basis. I'm aware of the source-level
comments like // CHECKSTYLE:OFF and so on, but I prefer to put this kind
of thing in the POM.

Anyone got any ideas?

--
Mark Raynsford | https://www.io7m.com