This is a bit "dangerous".

1) a project will have a different model depending on that property. It will
ripple into needing to change other things like the final name of the built
artifact to ensure you don't end up with one thing sometimes being something
different

2) you can only do this trick once. There is no multiple inheritence.

This is a little bit of an unusual use case. It's understandable that you
often depend on a spec dependency (for which we don't yet have great
support) and an impl goes into the final bundle and the impl might change.
Changing the API too is what is unusual.

Anyway, in m1 the general approach to this is to have two projects that do
the different bundling and build whichever you want, sharing the common
code. I'm not sure if that's easily done when the api is changed though.

I replied in this fashion in another thread. I should also mention again
that environmental changes to project builds are supported in Maven 2.

- Brett