Hi Brett,
I finally got the assembly 2.0-beta-2-SNAPSHOT to work this morning after downloading the m2-beta-3. It seems to be working fine except for the fact that it is not including the jars for the modules nor their dependencies. Maybe I am missing something here: At first it was complaining about not being able to find the bin.xml file in the modules. I put a bin.xml just into each one of them containing the dependecySets with the output directory set exactly as it is in the bin.xml that I am pasting below and it started to work but, as I said, without anything from the modules.

Here is my root pom symplified:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";
xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd";> <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
   <groupId>com.carosys</groupId>
   <artifactId>jeeves</artifactId>
   <packaging>pom</packaging>
   <version>1.0</version>
   <name>Jeeves Care</name>
   <organization>
       <name>Caro Sys</name>
       <url>http://www.carosys.com</url>
   </organization>
<description>A system that is able to produce behaivoral trends as well as point out certain health conditions out of the regular activities of daily living of a person.</description>
   <developers>
      <!-- removed for simplicity -->
   </developers>
   <issueManagement>
      <!-- removed for simplicity -->
   </issueManagement>
   <ciManagement>
      <!-- removed for simplicity -->
   </ciManagement>
   <scm>
      <!-- removed for simplicity -->
   </scm>
   <modules>
       <module>jeeves-common</module>
       <module>jeeves-hub</module>
   </modules>
   <build>
       <plugins>
           <plugin>
               <version>2.0-beta-2-SNAPSHOT</version>
               <configuration>
                   <descriptor>bin.xml</descriptor>
                   <finalName>jeeves-1.0-beta-1</finalName>
               </configuration>
           </plugin>
       </plugins>
   </build>
   <dependencies>
       <dependency>
           <groupId>junit</groupId>
           <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
           <version>3.8.1</version>
           <scope>test</scope>
       </dependency>
       <dependency>
           <groupId>log4j</groupId>
           <artifactId>log4j</artifactId>
           <version>1.2.8</version>
           <type>jar</type>
       </dependency>
       <dependency>
           <groupId>commons-logging</groupId>
           <version>1.0.4</version>
           <type>jar</type>
           <exclusions>
      <!-- removed for simplicity -->
           </exclusions>
       </dependency>
   </dependencies>
   <repositories>
      <!-- removed for simplicity -->
   </repositories>
</project>

Here is the assembly descriptor.

<assembly>
   <id>bin</id>
   <formats>
       <format>zip</format>
   </formats>
   <fileSets>
       <fileSet>
           <includes>
               <include>README*</include>
               <include>LICENSE*</include>
               <include>NOTICE*</include>
           </includes>
       </fileSet>
       <fileSet>
           <!-- Resources from jeeves-hub-->
           <directory>jeeves-hub/src/main/resources</directory>
           <outputDirectory>resources</outputDirectory>
       </fileSet>
       <fileSet>
           <!-- service-wrapper from jeeves-hub-->
           <directory>jeeves-hub/service-wrapper</directory>
           <outputDirectory>service-wrapper</outputDirectory>
       </fileSet>
       <fileSet>
           <!-- bat files from jeeves-hub-->
           <directory>jeeves-hub</directory>
           <outputDirectory>.</outputDirectory>
           <includes>
               <include>*.bat</include>
           </includes>
       </fileSet>
       <fileSet>
           <!-- readme files from jeeves-hub-->
           <directory>jeeves-hub</directory>
           <outputDirectory>.</outputDirectory>
           <includes>
               <include>readme.*</include>
           </includes>
       </fileSet>
       <fileSet>
           <!-- xml files from jeeves-common-->
           <directory>jeeves-common/src/main/resources</directory>
           <outputDirectory>resources</outputDirectory>
           <includes>
               <include>common.properties</include>
               <include>AlarmConfig.xml</include>
               <include>NewAlarmConfig.xml</include>