Hi Jason,
Examples:

1) In our current m2 build we have a specialized "rpm build" which lays out
4 separate plugins that play into 4 different phases of the build. Together
they form a system. Each of these plugins is parametrized, such that using
artifactId, etc, they have enough information to do their job. This set of
plugins is general enough to apply to a wide range of projects. I don't want
to repeat the plugin definitions in each project. Of course, this system is
being fleshed out, which is why I'm writing this ;-)

2) In m1 I have a build system which builds Java web services. It slips many
extra goals into the standard maven Java build sequence (e.g. WSDL2Java,
copy extra test resources, company specific stuff, etc.) I collect these
goals into a single maven build file which is imported (using jelly:core
import) into a project's vanilla maven.xml. This way I control the build
process for my many "clients" -- who ultimately just want to type "maven"
and don't really care what or how it gets built -- as long as it builds
correctly. When I port this to m2, I need something similar -- a composite
representing a complete, reusable build solution.

Does this make sense??
Thanks,
-- Chris