It is *not* possible to move files and folders around in CVS and
retain history. This is only possible in SVN and perhaps other
systems.

It *is* possible (though perhaps difficult) to retain your old
directory/file structure and simply configure things entirely in the
the pom.xml files. So instead of using root/src/main/java for Java
source code, perhaps you are using root/src/java. The "Super POM" in
your M2 install directory stores the default locations, but you are
free to override them in your own pom. This would allow you to keep
the files in the same places but move to a Maven build process.

Look in this location to see the default settings:
maven-2.0.4\lib\maven-project-2.0.4.jar\org\apache\maven\project\pom-4.0.0.xml

I personally would move my projects to SVN and then worry about
Maven'izing them.

Wayne