Sorry that this discussion is somewhat off-topic, but I hope that it is okay since there are so many people trying to get hierarchically-organized Maven projects to work well in Eclipse...

I setup a workspace using the procedure outlined in this thread. The end result that I get has the root and modules in a flat layout (not hierarchical) like this:

root
module1
module2
module3

At first I thought that it didn't work for me, but I suspect that this was the same result that others got. I was expecting a hierarchical layout in Eclipse, but I see now that this is really just a trick that allows you to create overlapping Eclipse projects. Normally, Eclipse would not allow you to add both "root" and "module1" projects to the same workspace, since they overlap.

This does have a few advantages over the method I was using before:

1. The import process is a convenient way to create an Eclipse project for each Maven module in one step. Previously, I was adding each one individually. (This also works if you have checked out your project from the root outside of the workspace.)

2. You can have your parent pom.xml in the root directory of your project, AND still be able to edit it in Eclipse. Previously, I was forced to put the parent pom in subdir under root.

3. You can commit changes in multiple modules/projects in one transaction, by committing the changes from root project. (However, I see now that the Subversive subversion plugin supports "cross project atomic commits", which sounds like it will work even if you don't have your project root setup as an Eclipse project.)

But it is still lacking in several respects:

1. If one team member adds a module, every person on the team has to do some fiddling to setup their workspace.

2. The display in Eclipse is still flat, rather than hierarchical, making it impractical to have more than one multi-module project in the same workspace (since there is no indication which "root" project owns "moduleX").

3. You are limited to one level of inheritance in your project hierarchy. Or maybe not, if you do the same .project-hide and import trick more than once. Whatever the case, it still flattens the view.

4. All of your files show up twice (or worse, if your project hierarchy has more than one level) -- once as root/moduleX/file and again as moduleX/file. This can be confusing. The double-display of file modification label decorations is annoying. I suspect that it also has a significant negative impact on Eclipse performance.

-Max