"mbatth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 09/20/2006 12:09:01 PM:

> Hello,
> I am very new to maven, so please pardon my extremely newbie questions.
> have a need for standardizing the common framework and components in my
> organization. So, i am thinking of managing the frameworks or componets
via
> maven. When any team would require the common artifacts, they can
install
> maven and connect to common repository. Is maven the right tool for
this? Is
> it possible to track usage, such as number of downloads? Is there any
> security mechanism by which i can secure the repository?

This can be done, though it is not a primary goal of maven itself. What
you essentially need to do is supply a mirror of the central repository
within your organization. This mirror can contain all of your approved
libraries and nothing else. This will serve up the libraries via a web
server you control, so you can secure it as you wish and track usage
through the logs.

In my organization we're looking into this in more detail. We're having
our legal department approve some open source licenses, and of the
eligible libraries, our architecture team will help make technical
assessments of competing libraries to come up with our "approved" list. We
also plan to have an "experimental" maven repository that will proxy the
main ibiblio one (and others). This will allow developers to link to
libraries that have not been "approved" yet (or newer versions of approved
ones) to continue development while they are in review. Before we go to
QA, we will ensure that a project can be built against just the repository
of approved libraries.

>From an organizational standpoint, maven will also serve as our standard
build process. We'll provide a common parent pom for our projects that
will have customized org specific settings. We'll also have custom
archetypes to help them get started on new projects. We'll also use the
site reports to generate standard reports and metrics on the code, and a
standard configuration for our continuous integration server.

Maven is a great enabler for these organizational standards, but be aware,
someone in your organization will have to learn maven well to get it
configured for your needs, and the documentation is a bit scattered at
this point.

Greg Vaughn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in and transmitted with this
communication is strictly confidential, is intended only for the use of the
intended recipient, and is the property of Countrywide Financial Corporation or
its affiliates and subsidiaries.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any use of the information contained in or transmitted
with the communication or dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited by law.  If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately return this communication to the
sender and delete the original message and any copy of it in your possession.