Eric Redmond wrote:

> Does it run twice in a row? When you run "package", Maven will print out
> all
> of the goals executed, one by one. Can you list them please?

Hi, thanks for replying! Here is what I see:

$ mvn clean package
[INFO] [clean:clean]
[INFO] [resources:resources]
[INFO] [compiler:compile]
[INFO] [resources:testResources]
[INFO] [compiler:testCompile]
[INFO] [surefire:test]
[INFO] [jar:jar]
[WARNING] Removing: assembly from forked lifecycle, to prevent recursive
invocation.
[INFO] [resources:resources]
[INFO] [compiler:compile]
[INFO] [resources:testResources]
[INFO] [compiler:testCompile]
[INFO] [surefire:test]
[INFO] [jar:jar]
[INFO] [assembly:assembly {execution: assembly}]

So as you can see, it runs everything up to the package phase--except
itself--then runs everything up to the package phase again, this time
including myself.

When I unbind it from the pom, I can just run "mvn clean assembly:assembly."
And then it still runs everything up to package, but only once.

So I'm guessing that assembly:assembly knows it needs everything up to
package, but it expects to be run unbound to any phase, so it runs all that
stuff itself.