I have a multi-project with several properties defined in an active
profile in the root pom:

<profiles>
    <profile>
        <id>local</id>
        <activation>
            <activeByDefault>true</activeByDefault>
        </activation>
        <properties>
            <jdbc.url>jdbc:mysql://buildserver:3306/builddb</jdbc.url>
            .... other properties ....
        </properties>
    </profile>
</profiles>

I would like to override the <jdbc.url> property for my personal builds.
So I created a profiles.xml file in the root project:

<profiles>
    <profile>
        <id>personal</id>
        <activation>
            <activeByDefault>true</activeByDefault>
        </activation>
        <properties>
            <jdbc.url>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/mydb</jdbc.url>
        </properties>
    </profile>
</profiles>

When I execute "mvn install", I am finding that the value in
profiles.xml is NOT overriding the value in pom.xml. Interestingly
enough, if I execute one of the sub-projects using "mvn -f mda/pom.xml
install", the property in profiles.xml DOES override. What am I doing
wrong?

Thanks.
Naresh