OK, I got it.

I added a section to my pom for snapshot plugins like this:
<project ...>
   <pluginRepositories>
       <pluginRepository>
           <id>maven-snaps</id>
           <url>http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository</url>
           <snapshots>
               <enabled>true</enabled>
           </snapshots>
           <releases>
               <enabled>false</enabled>
           </releases>
       </pluginRepository>
   </pluginRepositories>
</project>

Then to build, I do this:

 mvn install dependency:copy-dependencies

That does a totally adequate job of putting everything out in my
target directory for me.

Thanks for your help, people.

Larry

On 11/20/06, Barrie Treloar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 11/21/06, Larry Meadors <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, I am using maven for the first time, so I apologize if this is a
> retarded question, but I can't find it anywhere in the docs.
>
> I have an app that is a command line app. I want to create an assembly
> that has my jar, along with the other jars that are listed as
> dependencies on it.

See
* http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=5936062&framed=y&skin=177
* http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=5954911&framed=y&skin=177