Mirko Nasato wrote:

> Since I just need support for JUnit 3.8, not TestNG or POJOs, I wondered
> whether there is an older, stabler plugin somewhere.

I was advised here:

  http://www.nabble.com/Surefire-report-issues-tf2634455s177.html#a7353146

to use the surefire plugin version 2.1.3.  There were some dependency issues
(if anyone knows a repo where that version is valid please let us know), so
I tried 2.1.  Unfortunately it has the same problem as 2.2 with test
failures producing rubbish report output (even in a standard JUnit report).
I doubt somehow that 2.1.3 is any better, but if you make it work I'd like
to know the recipe.