For dependencies, the path in a local or remote repository can be
constructed using groupId, artifactId, version, classifier and type
since all of these are always known from the POM (or parent POMs).

For plugins the version is not always known. If no version is
specified for a given plugin, the resolver will use the metadata
(which are version independent) to retrieve the latest or release
version from the artifact metadata in local or remote repository.
e.g.
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-ejb-plugin/maven-metadata.xml

In case you specify a short version for a plugin goal (like
eclipse:eclipse), then the resolver can map this on artifactIds using
group metadata for the registered plugin groups.
e.g. http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-metadata.xml

Tom

On 12/4/06, Wendy Smoak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That's very interesting, Wendy.
> In my experience you do need a maven-metadata.xml file with
> information that points to the versions of the artifact.

If that were true across the board, no one would be able to use MyFaces 1.1.4.
   http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/myfaces/core/myfaces-impl/
(The metadata only mentions the 1.1.2 version.)

Archiva may be more sensitive to incorrect metadata, however.

--
Wendy