Some time ago i opened a jira issue about this missing feature:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-177

Since this is a key feature for our company (we heavily use version ranges and releases are not reproducible), we would like to submit a patch to uncomment and fix the existing code. Does anyone see any reason not to do this?
Gabriele